My Malayalam Blog

Please visit my Malayalam Blog at പൊത്തോപ്പുറം (http://pothoppuramjayanthan.blogspot.in)

Thursday 21 July 2022

An unforgettable morning




02 April 2022

 

Last week of March 2022.

Sent a message: “Shall be at Thiruvananthapuram in the first week of April. Would like to meet with you, if your schedule permits.”

“Oh, yes! Come any day other than the 3rd and the 4th.”

Wow! He is at station, and has a little time to spare for me. Felt really elated.

“Shall call you on the evening of the 1st.”

“Okay.” 

So far so good.

On the 1st evening, “Can I come tomorrow?”

“All right, try to make it by 9 in the morning. Come to my residence,” He further asked where I was staying and how would I reach, and so on.

“He” is Dr V.P. Joy (also known as Joy Vazhayil), Chief Secretary of Kerala. Am fortunate to know him at Delhi through various akshara shloka sadases. Last year he had also very kindly released (online) a book that I edited.

Was at the door of his official residence a few minutes behind schedule. His wife Ms Sheeja very kindly spent some time with me, offered tea or coffee, to which I politely and thankfully responded ‘no’. We had seen twice (though not actually met) in Delhi, but she immediately recognized me. She very kindly gave me company; Dr Joy was getting ready for office.

Dr Joy is the same young, smart, polite, loving, always smiling, person. We talked for a few minutes, about ourselves, our families, our works, etc. He very generously offered me help in obtaining necessary cooperation from CMC Vellore, in writing a biography of Dr Ida Scudder that he knew I was planning to. He presented me with copies of two of his latest books of poems.

Time to leave. I discussed in my mind, ‘whether to or not to? To or not to? To or …?’. Well, let me go ahead, and I politely requested Ms Sheeja Joy to click us on my mobile. She very willingly and smilingly (well, she always smiles!) agreed to.

Then it was a little more difficult question that I asked, “Any problem in my taking a selfie of all three of us?”

Again, the same smile and willingness. And she very kindly obliged.

For me it was a morning well spent. Thank you, Joy Sir and Sheeja Madam, for making me feel extremely comfortable, pleasant and proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE WRITE YOUR NAME WHILE COMMENTING.