My Malayalam Blog

Please visit my Malayalam Blog at പൊത്തോപ്പുറം (http://pothoppuramjayanthan.blogspot.in)

Thursday 21 July 2022

Centre for the Study of Developing Societies: My Virtual Home – Part VI

There were also some solemn moments which I would like to mention here. One day I got a call from Jayasree that CRM Rao has passed away. It was a shock to me. It is true that every soul which comes into this world has to return when the time comes after leaving the body behind. But when you hear such news quite unexpectedly you are taken aback. The only thing that I could do to show my respect to him was to go to the crematorium and pay my homage. It was a similar case when Prof Giri Deshingkar passed away. However, when Bashir Saheb passed away, I came to know only from the newspapers the next day. That was because he had left the Centre some time ago and had been the Vice Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia University when he passed away. I silently prayed for the departed soul.

Why does the Centre remain in my mind as fresh as it was when I left it nearly three decades ago? I think the reason is that my wife is still working there. Through her I come to know about important happenings at the Centre. I also used to visit it occasionally and met with old colleagues. Am I nostalgic about the Centre? No. Nostalgia is the feeling about something which is long lost that will never return to one’s life. But CSDS has been very much part of my life and thoughts for more than thirty-six years now, whether I am working there or not. Yes, it is my second home. And I hope it will remain so for many years to come.

(Concluded)

C R M Rao
G D Deshingkar


Prof. Bashiruddin Ahmed
Prof. Rajni Kothari

Sujit Deb




No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE WRITE YOUR NAME WHILE COMMENTING.