My Malayalam Blog

Please visit my Malayalam Blog at പൊത്തോപ്പുറം (http://pothoppuramjayanthan.blogspot.in)

Thursday 21 July 2022

Centre for the Study of Developing Societies: My Virtual Home - Part III

The second incident occurred when my father-in-law had undergone a surgery at the St. Stephens hospital. On the day of his scheduled release we received a bill for more than 5000 rupees. We had been under the impression that St. Stephens was a charity hospital. With a rude shock we realized that it was a paid charity hospital. All of us relatives collected whatever amount we had. We were still short of about 2000 rupees. We didn’t know what to do.

I then went and met Bashir Saheb. It was around noon on a holiday. It was obvious that he had been taking a short nap after lunch when I rang the bell. I started explaining the problem. I had to take a long route, since it was very embarrassing to ask for personal loan from your Director!

But when I was half-way through, he asked me, ‘Do you want money? How much?’

I said, ‘2000 rupees’.

He went inside and brought a bundle of 100 twenty-rupee notes. I was about to tell him how grateful I was and how and by when I plan to return the money, but he would not listen.

He said, ‘Go, clear the bill, and take your father-in-law home’.  

One day I talked to Bashir Saheb about Jayasree to seek a possible position at CSDS. He later told another colleague, ‘We are familiar with the hard and sincere work of Jayanthan and Krishnan (PKK Namboodiri) are putting in. I don’t think there should be any problem.’ And after a test and interview, she was appointed as his PA.

When I wanted to resign from CSDS to join Tata Energy Research Institute (TERI) (now The Energy and Resources Institute), he himself advised me to take leave, and not resign.

He said, ‘Any time you want to come back, do so, and we will take you back. You are always welcome.’

After the initial six months’ leave, I extended it for another six months before finally resigning. After my departure, Jayasree took over the responsibilities of Alternatives. The main attraction was that I could guide her when needed. I also came and worked in the Centre on a few Saturdays to help her, till she was confident.

The late Mr CRM Rao was the mildest and softest person I have ever come across. I consider it a privilege to have worked with him. In fact our association started with a little uneasiness. I had initially agreed to a salary of 625 rupees. When I went home, my cousin reprimanded me for agreeing for a salary which was only slightly more than what I was getting in DPD. So, the next day I went and told Mr Rao that I wanted 650 rupees as salary. He was slightly upset. I offered some excuses and explained why I was seeking an enhanced payment. He then agreed.

When I left CSDS to join TERI, he wrote, ‘I am sad that you are leaving, but glad that you are doing so for better prospects.’

He invited Jayasree and me to his home, but we could not make it which I have regretted ever since his passing away. While working at CSDS, I had gone to Mr Rao’s home once and enjoyed the warm treatment accorded by him and his wife.

The late Prof. Giri Desingkar was outwardly very strict, but a very warm and loveable person. The first time he asked me to type a letter for him (this was during one of the initial days of my joining), I went and complained to Mr Rao! Why should I work for an outsider? At that time Prof. Deshingkar was a Faculty in the Delhi University, but associated with the China Report group.

Mr Rao said, ‘Yes, yes, he is in the China Report group, and you should help him whenever he wants.’

It takes time to come out of the bureaucratic way of the government (doesn’t it?), where I worked for two years before joining the Centre. Slowly I opened up and was ready to assist anybody in the Centre, regardless of their association with China Report.


No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE WRITE YOUR NAME WHILE COMMENTING.